Monday, October 29, 2007

Unforgettable



Sometimes you just really miss someone. Some of those days have passed in recent weeks for John and I. There will be times where we just miss 'Granny'. Granny, JoElla, had a way about her that was absolutley indescribable. To know her was priceless. She loved with a love that was different than any other I can ever remember.Though she was opinionated and more than willing to share it, she did it with love. She had energy and pizazz that was beyond compare. Often times John and I will be lying in bed just talking and he'll say....I miss her. They loved each other so much!


John has endless stories about the incredible grandmother that he remembers. She loved him with an unbelievable love that increased his confidence and love within himself as he grew. She was so good at that. Even with a stranger.


One of my most memorable moments with her was when she was closer to the end of her life. I can recall Granny being very sick and in bed. We had gone to visit because we knew that she would not last much longer. She had grown very sick from the cancer that had consumed her body for so many years. I layed by her side and talked with her. I recall rubbing her legs because they were so sore from the blisters that had formed and her feet hurt terribly. She always did love foot rubs. Anyone that knew her personally knew her famous line..."foot rubs are better than sex!" During these last days, only 6 short months after John and I had married, we enjoyed our last few days with her. Once when she was getting up from the bed to struggle with her walker to the bathroom, we caught her moving her feet from side to side. We asked her what she was doing and she replied, " I'm dancing! I wish I had danced more!"

John and I have a plaque in our house that reminds us of that moment. It says: DANCE AS IF NO ONE WERE WATCHING!" It's a constant reminder of her and her love for the two of us.

After her death, I noticed a large heart attached to her bar. She was infamous for knicknacks. On the heart it said something like "grandchildren are precious." On individual hearts were the names of each of her grandchildren. On one, one that I had never noticed, was my name written in her handwritting. It left such a precious impression upon my heart that it brought me to tears and does even as I type this now. She will never know how much I loved her and how much that really touched me until I can see her in heaven again. I loved her. She was trully, unforgettable.

No comments: