Monday, October 29, 2007

A few of life's sweet blessings...

Caroline and Lily are two of our sweetest blessings in our life. It's amazing how much you can really love animals and how very close you can feel to them. Caroline and Lily are much different than any two animals I have ever seen. They each have very special stories about how they came to us and how they were put into our lives.



Lily came to the Spinetto farm right before we got married. I had just started moving things into the house on the farm and was trying to get things settled before we headed to Hendersonville to get married! One night while we were hanging out and watching a movie when we noticed a car come down the driveway and then turn around and leave. As they were leaving we noticed New York tags. It seemed weird but we didn't think much of it. As we were leaving to go out for a while we noticed this set of glowing yellow eyes and a tiny little kitten in the bushes. For a few days the kitten wouldn't come near anyone. However as the days progressed I would go down to the house while John was working and would let her in for some milk and then rush her out the door when I knew he might be coming back to the house. I would beg for him to let her in, but he refused. He constantly reminded me of the cat he and Brandon had as kids that they nicknamed 'Satan' because the cat was so mean. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the mean things that he and Brandon and John Sr. would do to the cat! However, one day I was working on a paper upstairs and heard him coaxing something up the stairs. He was making a clicking sound with his mouth and patting the carpet. I knew he wasn't calling me..so I peeked down the stairs and he was petting this tiny kitten. We decided somehow to call her Lily and just loved how very sweet she was. She would walk with John down to the barn to do the horses and just cry if he got out of her sight. When we were going to Hendo. to prepare for the wedding and our honeymoon the Spinettos said they really didn't think that another cat was needed on the farm and that they were going to try and get rid of the kitten while we were gone. I hated the idea, but had other things on my mind!! However, when we returned from our honeymoon she was there waiting!! The humane society said they didn't have enough room for another cat so she was ours! I was so excited and John finally learned to love a cat! 'Satan' who???

Lily was our one and only pet for 2 years. John planned for it to stay that way too! That was until we saw Caroline! We were redoing our bedroom at the farm and decided to run to Lowe's hardware for a few things. When we went they were having their infamous pet adoptions. I of course wanted to look but only looked at the cats because I knew a dog was out of the question. We went and got our things and as we were checking out the clerk asked if we had seen the blue eyed dog? John was so curious. We went back out and he was just set on going to see this dog. So we looked and saw this cute little (at that time) dog with its tail stuck between its legs and no excitement at all to her. Another couple was looking at her and had her out of the cage petting her. We walked up and began to talk to them. The lady tried to get John to say that we needed to take this dog. Of course John reassured her that we didn't and nor were we capable of taking on a dog financially or with our time. We kept petting her because she was so darn cute and the lady and man told us that they would pay for her if we would take her home. It was crazy. WE did though! I can remember John saying ' we have a dog!' What was the coolest was that Caroline really helped John understand more about me. See, Caroline had come from an abusive home and had been removed because she wasn't being cared for. I, with my crazy childhood that I endured, understood and of her actions and she felt in her insecurities with people. John just wasn't sure that we made the right decision, but as time passed we have seen how much joy she has and how much we really do love her and are thankful that we have her in our lives!

When we added another animal to the family, we were really worried how Lily would react. They really get along well. Often times Lily wants to play, but Caroline will have no part of it. But it's really fun when they chase each other around and play. I love that they will lay around with each other and not fight! We love them both. I can't imagine our home without our pets!

No comments: