Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloweennnnn......

Being a teacher of young students always leaves an unsaid pressure to do something 'cool' for holidays. For Halloween you really have to be careful because of religious views of different students. I myself don't like the whole ghost, goblin,demonic masks part of Halloween that many take part in, but as you can see from my previous post I have no problem with pumpkin carving and enjoyable fall activities. So..as a class we carved more pumpkins!!! Each student brought in their own pumpkin. We integrated math and counted all of our seeds, which we roasted and then created stem and leaf plots. Oh...you can make anything work! That afternoon after some 'sweet' treats of cupcakes, cookies, brownies, chips, candy (of course) and then some healthy choices of celery and carrots, we carved our own pumpkins. It was risky allowing kids to have pumpkin carving tools that I had purchased at Wal-mart, but after a nice lengthy speech they were excited and ready. And I must say they surprised me with their responsibility with the tools. I did ,however, label each one with a knife and count to make sure I had all of the tools before I sent them home all 'sugared' up! The kids had a great time. It's one of those days that makes you completely exhausted, but the kids love it and that makes it all worth it.
That night we headed to Trunk-or-Treat at the church. Caroline was all dressed up in her cute little orange t-shirt and her pumpkin decor, but she wasn't the biggest fan of it. Wonder why?....A few of the 'geeks' got really in to the dressing up for trunk-or-treat! Aren't they cute?? It was a fun day and I was out cold by 9:30! Oh, the life of a teacher!

No comments: