Saturday, October 31, 2009

Blessing During Recession.....Part II

Saying goodbye brought so many emotions with it and at the end of Wednesday I felt completely drained. I had no clue what the next day was going to bring for me because I was going straight into KINDERGARTEN the very next morning! Pray for MSC (Many Small Children) and the Lord tends to have a sense of humor with how he provides!

When I originally interviewed at Highland Elementary, I thought I was interviewing for a new Third Grade position that was opening up. While that was true, there were also 2 kindergarten positions open and a Fourth grade position open. When he came back offering me one of the kindergarten positions. I wasn't the least bit timid about it. I knew I could do it. I had spent my ENTIRE college career preparing to be a kindergarten teaching. A high school internship, 2 college internships & student teaching were spent in kindergarten. I had experienced by far the best kindergarten teacher on the planet during student teaching. Patsy Alley was amazing at making kinders do exactly what she wanted them to in the most creative ways that they enjoyed. I learned so much from her and knew I simply needed to drag it from the dusty shelf I had left it on 6 years ago.

I LOVED it! I realized quickly that the pace of my day was going to be much different, but it was FUN! I really had missed the aspects of school that elementary teachers get to enjoy. These past few days reminded me of why I became a teacher.


I chose a spider theme for my first two days to go with the Halloween week. I'll have to continue to be creative in those ways too because I have a sweet baby who can't celebrate any holidays.


Spiders it was. I hung a HUGE spider on the corner of the board. Kinders are the most observant kids ever. They had hardly walked in the room and welcomed their new teacher ( I had met them the week before during a day long visit),that their little voices said "MRS. BERRY! There's a spider over our board. Who put that spider there??? " I love their excitement...so refreshing.


We graphed whether we like or dislike spiders and then wrote about it! What fun is learning about spiders if it doesn't involve food? So we made spiders from marshmallows & pretzels. They didn't stand a chance with hungry little kiddos. I did manage to get a picture before they were consumed!





I even found these awesome cupcakes to go with our theme!!!

The kids loved them:)





Yesterday afternoon the entire school focused on Kindergarten. Everyone lined the hallways & each kindergarten class prepared themselves with their themed hats. Our theme was scarecrows. They kids loved that I joined in with them!

A new adventure with a tremendous amount of fun to come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Less stress, less stress, less stress....hooray! It will come to that and you are going to be able enjoy MSC alongside your MSK (Many Small Kinders) one day! I wish Ella could be in your class!

Caitlin K. said...

Pepper! So happy for you! Thanks for the update...I check the blog often and was beginning to wonder what was going on...:) Much love to you, John, and your new bunch of lovelies!