Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Monkey See...Monkey do

We all know that children mimic what they see. It's so evident all over the place. I see it all the time in youth ministry. Kids whose parents have deep meaningful relationships with Christ also have more spirit led attitudes. Kids whose parents seem to be "Sunday Christians" also seem to have little desire to grow in God's word independent of force or manipulation.

I was slammed in the face with the fact that Channing already is a part of this "monkey see, monkey do" society. We were at my Aunt's house the other day (another event in June that I actually forgot) & she offered him a little play guitar that was in her building. His reaction was similar to that of a kid who loves lollipops! He reached for it & held on & wouldn't let go.

He sees his daddy with one all the time. Literally, one sits in the living room everyday & not many days go by that John isn't playing a guitar. He's sees him with it and wants to mimic that behavior.









Daily I am blessed with the sounds of a little 9 month old following in his daddy's footsteps with songs and praises! What a joy it is. I wish I could freeze time sometimes as he "sings" and plays.

It also brings you to a place of reflection....what do I need to remove that Channing or others might be imitating because they see it in me? Makes Ephesians 5:1 more real......"Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children."