Monday, December 3, 2007

It's Beginning to Look A lot Like Christmas....

It's beginning to look more like Christmas here at the Berry Home....



On the Sunday after Thanksgiving, we put up our Christmas tree!!! That's early for us, but John is super busy and I had to get him while I could! We went to a tree farm and hand picked our tree. We are probably the slowest people at choosing a tree. We look around all over the farm and try to pick the best one! It's so much fun!! We really love it!



We come home, with some Christmas music and hot wassail and put up the tree! John's in charge of the lights and then I put on the other things. Right now we still have the tree that matches. We just got John's ornaments from when he was a kid last year and I don't really have any from when I was a kid. Maybe some day when we have children we will go to a 'kid friendly' tree, but until then I will have my 'Martha Stewart' tree as some might call it. I love that my ornaments and wrapping paper all match. I know it's weird, but I enjoy it!


At this time of year I've already recalled quite often our trip to Bethlehem during the summer of 2006. It was such an eye opening experience. It helped me to really take a different look at the Word. It really brings it to life to have been in all those places where my Savior was. To stand in the place where he was brought into the world....was simply amazing. What a blessing that was given to us by my mother-in-law and father-in-law. Though the image to the left is less than what you would have imagined, it is the spot where Jesus is said to be born. I didn't imagine it being a 'shrine' as it seems. It smelled of incense. But when you are able to pull yourself away from the appearance you are able to realize that over 2 thousand years ago and thousands of tourists before it was a lonely cave where an amazing Savior was born to the world. The spot on the floor where the star is, is the location that they suspect that he was born at. It was so cool to stand there and know that a tiny little baby had cried there that was born for each of us!
In Sunday School we are studying the story of Christs birth and watching the Nativity Story. It is a wonderful movie. If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend it. The reenactment of Nazareth is very much like the area that we were able to see. The movie makes the journey for Mary and Joseph so real. It brings to life the ridicule that they faced and how they were blessed with an amazing gift!
More Christmas celebrations to come!!! Can't wait!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's beginning to look like...
you need to do another post! :)